24-hour emergency contact number:
800-638-3278

If you smell the distinctive rotten egg odor of natural gas, hear a hissing sound near a gas meter or pipeline or if you see a broken line follow the steps below:

If you smell gas inside:

  • Evacuate everyone?immediately, including pets.
  • Leave the door open behind you as you?evacuate?the premises.
  • From a safe location, outside of the building and away from the gas leak, call the?Montana-Dakota Utilities,?emergency contact number: 800-638-3278.
  • If the leaking gas ignites, don’t attempt to extinguish the flames.
  • Call?the fire department at?911.
  • Keep other people and animals away from the area.

DO NOT?do any of the following:

  • Do not use a telephone or cell phone inside the building.
  • Do not open or close any windows.
  • Do not flip light switches; pull plugs or operate electrical devices. This includes garage door openers, door bells and any type of vehicle, machinery or equipment.? Any?sparking could ignite the gas.
  • Do not smoke or light matches.
  • Do not re-enter the building?until you are told it is safe to do so.

If you smell gas outside:

  • Evacuate the area?immediately.
  • Do not use electronic devices or cell phones near the area of the leak.
  • From a safe location, away from the gas leak, call the Montana-Dakota Utilities, emergency contact number: 800-638-3278.
  • Do not smoke or light matches near the area of the leak.
  • If the leaking gas ignites, don’t try to extinguish the flames.
  • Call?the fire department at?911.
  • Keep other people and animals away from the area.

If?digging and natural gas pipeline damage is suspected:

  • If motorized equipment can be turned off safely, do so to prevent the ignition of accumulated gas.
  • Abandon the equipment and?leave the area?on foot.
  • Do not attempt to restart the equipment until you are told it is safe to do so.
  • Do not use any electronic devices including cell phones near the area of the leak.
  • From a safe location, away from the gas leak, call the Montana-Dakota Utilities, emergency contact number: 800-638-3278.
  • Do not smoke or light matches near the area of the leak.
  • If the gas ignites, do not attempt to extinguish the flames.
  • Call?the fire department at?911.
  • Keep other people and animals away from the area.

Power Outage

If your power should go out, find out if neighboring homes still have electric service. If they still have power, check your fuse box or circuit breaker panel. If a fuse is blown, or a circuit breaker is open, turn off the lights and appliances on the circuit. This will help prevent damage to your appliances and your electrical system as well. Then replace the fuse with the correct amperage for the circuit or turn on the breaker. If a fuse continues to blow or the breaker continues to open, call an electrician to find and repair the problem.

When the electric outage is not confined to your home, disconnect or turn off as many electrical appliances and lights as possible. This will help protect your equipment and reduce the initial demand for electricity when the power is reconnected. Leave one light switch to the “on” position so you can tell when power is restored. Then you can reconnect appliances one at a time.

Call Montana-Dakota Utilities to report any outage not confined to your home unless you know a neighbor has already reported it. Call us at?800-638-3278.

Please note: Billing information is available Monday-Friday, 7:30 A.M. to 6:30 P.M. at 800-638-3278.

downed power line safety

Downed Power Lines

Storms, accidents, and other events can cause a downed power line. ?A downed power line should always be considered extremely dangerous – keep away and never approach a downed power line. ?Power lines draped over highway barriers or fences can energize them for great distances. Don’t touch anything that’s in contact with the wire. ?Don’t drive over a downed power line. ?If a power line falls on your car, stay in your car. ?You’re safe as long as you do.

In the event of a storm, treat any downed wire as if it is energized, stay away from the line, and call Montana-Dakota. When trees or branches break during storms, do not attempt to pull tree limbs off lines. Let our trained work crews perform this potentially dangerous work.

Never try to cut fallen wires. Consider every fallen wire as dangerous. Report the downed line to authorities or call Montana-Dakota. If you see a fallen power line, stay far away from it and warn others to stay away, too. Call MDU or the local police right away. All downed power lines should be considered energized and dangerous.

Never try to reposition a downed line with sticks, poles or other items that are normally considered to be “nonconductors.” To some extent, electrical current can travel through most materials — even ones that are said to resist it.

If your car comes into contact with a downed power line, stay inside and wait for help. The vehicle’s rubber tires will help protect you from becoming a pathway for current to flow to the ground. ?If you must leave your vehicle, open the door and leap as far away from the vehicle as possible. ?Above all, do not touch the vehicle and the ground at the same time.